September 14, 2011

DIY Chalkboard Knife Block

Want a knife block you can doodle on?


Our knife block, a cheap-o Winner's purchase from four years ago, was looking a bit worse for wear.  Due to my excessive cleaning, I had managed to scrub most of the varnish off and I wasn't a fan of the light wood.

Before

Before - Sans Varnish

I had a can of chalkboard spray paint lying around because I opted not to paint the magnetic memo board I made.  But that means I haven't ever tried chalkboard paint.  And all the cool kids are doing it.  So I thought the lonely can of paint + an ugly worn-out knife block = fun kitchen accessory.

I lightly sanded the surface of the knife block and spray painted it in a well ventilated area.  One coat resulted in this: 



Once the paint was dry, as per the manufacturer's instructions, I rubbed the whole thing in chalk using the side of a piece of chalk.


Then I wiped the chalk off using a damp cloth.  Apparently this "conditions" the chalkboard surface.  Can you imagine doing this for an entire chalkboard wall?!?
 

Now I can doodle:

No doodle.


To save you some scrolling . . . the "before" again.

Before

I love the look!  Even as a plain black knife block I think it looks better: crisper, more modern and it fits with the other black accessories in the kitchen.  Yay for the inexpensive and successful (key word) DIY project.

After




This project is a little like Don Draper: cool and super easy.  But here are some troubleshooting tips:
  • Use a very fine sandpaper because any scrapes or scratches in the wood will be made more visible by the paint.
  • Don't paint rubber feet - the paint would NOT dry on the rubber feet so I had to spend a few minutes scrubbing them clean with paint remover.
  • Be a bit more generous with the "conditioning" process.  The amount of chalk I used was insufficient and sometimes what I draw won't erase easily.

11 comments:

  1. Wow - chalkboard paint on a knife block? So cool. I love this project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it never even occurred to me that I could paint this bad boy!

    Good Jobbie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun is that! Even if you don't do much doodling it looks great with the black paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!

    Carol: I don't doodle that much either. I kind of settled on a doodle and it stayed. But I do like the graphic look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you little smarty pants, you. That's freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I love chalkboard paint. I did a kitchen door in it at my last house, and Carl and I used it for notes to each other and for our grocery lists. I also did a door in the rumpus room at my daughter's house, and I drew funny little cartoons on it for my grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks very very neat :), no doubt am a huge fan of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that's an awesome idea, but I couldn't take my eyes off that tea kettle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The tea kettle is by Le Creuset (which is pricey) but I got it at Winner's, where it was steeply discounted. I've seen them at TJ Maxx, in the States, and also at Le Creuset outlet malls.

      Delete
  9. What a great idea! I was just thinking the other day that we needed to get rid of our knife block because it starts too look ugly.

    ReplyDelete

You've made my day! I love hearing from you.
Unless you're a spammer. Spam commenters, you're out of luck: I approve each and every comment, so don't waste your time here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...