November 18, 2011

DIY Framed Bakelite Brooch


I had a wee bit of an ebay addiction in my early twenties.  I spent many sleepless nights "sneaker-fishing" my way into senseless purchases.  I kicked my habit but have many reminders, including two fabulous, but un-wearably inconvenient, vintage Bakelite pins.  I had considered framing them but wasn't sure how they would look.  The I started to see a few framed brooches around.  Barbara, of hodge:podge, created a version most similar to what I was after and as soon I saw hers I knew it would be a good idea.

[1. hodge:podge] [2. Super Duper Things] [3. Flickr]









  Supplies:

  • Cotton batting (I used leftovers from an upholstery project)
  • Silk (sourced from my fabric hoard)
  • Primer (leftover)
  • Paint (leftover from paper storage hoozit I painted)
  • Small paint brush
  • Glue (Aleene's worked well!)
  • Vintage frames ($5.00 for pair at estate sale)
  • 2 Vintage brooches (try flea markets, yard sales and estate sales)
  • Sandpaper

Painting the Frames:

I lightly sanded each frame, removing any sheen.  Then I gave the frames a quick wipe with a damp cloth.  Using a small brush I applied a coat of primer, let it dry overnight, then applied two coats of paint (following manufacturer's instructions).  I used a smaller artist's brush to get the paint into the "carved" detail.



Creating a Padded Backing:


I used the original "artwork" as my base - you can cut a piece of thin plywood/scrap plastic etc., if your frame is empty.  I cut a piece of batting and silk slightly larger than the backing and "upholstered" it.  I wrapped the fabric tightly, squeezed the backing back into the frame to check fit (and make sure the lines on my silk weren't woobly), and then glued the batting and fabric in place on the back.  I secured with tape while the glue dried (hot glue is faster, but this has a better hold).



Putting it Together:

Working with finishing nails was a pain (it is aggravating to hammer something that tiny, super gently).  Instead, I stapled beside the backing so instead of the staples going through the backing (into the thinnest part of the frame), the staples hold the backing in a kind of friction fit:


These combine my favorite things: a silhouette look (black on cream), turquoise, an ornate frame (I'm accidentally growing a collection), and making use of what I have.  Now I just need to figure out where to hang them . . .






P.S. Don't forget to enter my first-ever giveaway!

10 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I love that you made a padded backing. And the broches are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love the colour you've painted the frame. It's so soft and beautiful, a wonderful way to showcase the brooches! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I'm always attracted to brooches, but would never actually wear one - this is such a great way to be able to enjoy them! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanya, these are gorgeous!! I would have no doubt that you could turn a tiny little brooch into a gorgeous piece of artwork. They are so simple and clean but make a huge statement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous way to showcase jewelry...love how it makes it into a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the shout-out. Sure love those brooches framed AND I LOVE those frames!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything about this: the color of the frame, the fabric, the brooch. My grandma gave me a beautiful aurora borealis crystal brooch that I don't wear often. I think I need to do something like this with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Ladies!

    Beth: I think your sparkly brooch would look fabulous framed! It is easy to take off if you still want to wear it for a night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post because I have new fascination with vintage brooches--in part because they seem like little works of art to me. Framing was an idea I had also.

    I would encourage you to consider wearing them once in a while. You can do so much more with them than just put them on a jacket. Check this out:
    http://cfabbridesigns.com/miscellaneous/clothing/pinning-down-a-new-look/

    Cheers,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,

      Apologies - I somehow missed your comment! I just clicked the link and I love the look of brooches on a skirt. I have to try this look.

      Thanks :)

      Delete

You've made my day! I love hearing from you.
Unless you're a spammer. Spam commenters, you're out of luck: I approve each and every comment, so don't waste your time here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...