April 16, 2012

Play Kitchen Craziness: 4 Mini Makeovers

You didn't think I only painted one teeny tiny box, did ya?  Nope.  I was high on paint fumes for days, knocking off mini makeover after makeover for the play kitchen. 

I bought a bevy of silver accessories at the thrift store, that I made more kid-approved with a blast of cheery spray paint (I pulled the colours from the fabric).  While I love the patina on some of these silver pieces, I doubt my 3 year old cousin will marvel at it.  Instead, I think she'll approvingly scream, "Piiiiiiiink!!!"  As a feminist, I am trying not to encourage her to think that pink is only for girls and the only colour for girls.  But darn it, a mini pink cake stand is too cute.  I'll make her a tool box next.  Then buy her a muscle car.

1. I flipped over two lacy candle stick holders to use as two, tiny cake stands.  Adorbs:

   

2. A small-scale colander looked fine as-is, but with a lick of paint it looks like it was meant for kids:




3. A pretty tray with a great patina was just the right scale for a play kitchen, but it needed a dose of fun for Camilla to enjoy it (it's her play kitchen, not mine!):



4. A little butter dish looks like a mini covered serving dish and is now double the fun in a candy pink:



I gave each item a thorough clean, then a coat of primer, followed by many, many, thin coats of spray paint.  They should hold up to wear and tear, but I'll give you an update in a few months, once the munchkin has given my paint job a run for its money! 

Here are the paints I used: 

Primer: Krylon indoor/outdoor primer in white
Pink Paint: Tremclad rust paint in gloss candy pink
Blue Paint: Krylon indoor/outdoor paint in gloss blue ocean breeze

None of these items will be food safe, of course, but they will add some colour to the play kitchen (which is a sophisticated mix of griege, white and silver).  Watch for a post on the play kitchen reveal soon.

I linked these projects up here: DIY Showoff,  Funky Junk Interiors, Young & Crafty, Craft Envy, My Repurposed Life

P.S. We were secretly in Boston, MA from Wednesday-Saturday!  I promise to share some fun highlights.  Hint: think Zooey Deschanel in "Yes Man".

18 comments:

  1. So cute! Love the colors, and the mini cake stands are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looooooove them!!!! What an awsome idea :) I want one of those cake stands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to felt a mini cake for the cake stands soon. That will make them unbearably cute!

      Delete
  3. Awesome transformation! Especially love the cake stand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what fun!!!
    Love the colors you have chosen to use!
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are absolutely adorable! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love. I think the cake stands are my favourite. And I totally want to play in this kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at you go!!! I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Precious ideas!! Thanks for the comments over at Little Moments!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing Tanya!!! LOVE the pink, OMG. Most fab kid's kitchen ever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I know these are supposed to be for kids, but I'm loving those sweet colours! I totally want a pink tray just like that...and a mini cake stand!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How sweet! You are one creative Momma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! I'm not a Momma, just a really loving cousin. These accessories and the play kitchen I made are for my little cousin. Hope she likes!

      Delete
  12. Love it I've seen this done shabby chic but this modern version is super cool my little girl is just 1 so I best get car booting to find something suitable and then get my hubby to do the hard bits he does kitchen s any way x

    ReplyDelete

You've made my day! I love hearing from you.
Unless you're a spammer. Spam commenters, you're out of luck: I approve each and every comment, so don't waste your time here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...