October 21, 2013

Fireplace Before + After

One day, I'd love to re-do the fireplace entirely.  The actual fire box is tiny and old, the doors are wonky, the vents are awkward and inconveniently placed, the tile has a dated mint green woven into it, I could go on . . . I think a slate fireplace with a spot for the television above would be so beautiful, and practical, but for now I needed a budget alternative to de-sauna and update the focal point of our living room.

There were three major steps to the fireplace makeover:
  1. Convincing Hubby to let me paint the faux stone in the first place 
  2. Painting the metal doors and vents with Rustoleum high heat enamel spray paint
  3. Painting the faux stone and sauna wood
Friday I teased you with the makeover of the vents and fireplace doors, but didn't show you the rest of the freshly painted fireplace.  Was it cruel to make you wait all weekend?  Well, without further ado . . .


Ta da!  Now here's how I did it.

Painting the Faux Stone 

The "stone" is really just concrete with random bits of stuff thrown in it so it looks a little like stone.  It wouldn't have offended me so much, if it didn't have pale 80s pink hues blended in.  I had read conflicting suggestions on how-to websites about the right kind of paint to use on concrete.  I decided to play it safe and went to the Home Depot in search of masonry paint but a) the colour choices were really limited and b) they were out of the dark bases anyway.  Happily, the woman working the paint department confirmed that I could just to use a plain old paint+primer combo (Behr premium plus), which I did and it worked perfectly.  But not without a little prep work.

First I cleaned the stone.  I had planned to use a shop vac, but I had a little mishap.  My Dad suggested I clean out the fireplace with it as well, so I did that first.  I checked quickly to make sure that what I was cleaning wasn't being pumped back into the room and all was good.  I turned back to the fireplace and, engrossed in my work (and patting myself on the back for the sparkling clean fireplace I was seeing), I didn't turn around until I heard the smoke detector.  When I turned around, the air was so thick with ash debris I could barely see the kitchen.  I had successfully deposited the contents of the fireplace onto our freshly painted white walls.  A million swiffer cloths plus a new coat of paint later and it's now a funny story, but suffice to say to clean the faux stone I just used a brush because it was much less dangerous.


Once I had brushed off all the of the dust and loose concrete bits, I started painting.  Using a 2" angled brush I worked in small areas, brushing the paint into the seams and then loading up my brush with paint and squishing it in to every nook and cranny of the faux stone.



I basically pushed the paint into the stone, using a similar stippling motion as I would use for a stencil.  Then I swept the brush across the stone I was working on to catch any drips.  This way, although I totally trashed a lovely brush by the end, I was able to do the fireplace with one coat.  I just did a few touch ups at the end, adding paint to places I missed.  For the whole wall (including the wood, stone, mantles, and firewood storage cubby to the right), I used almost a gallon of paint.  It took me a few afternoons of work.


Where the faux stone met the walls, and also where it met the metal vents, was tricky because the edges are uneven but so close to the wall I couldn't even slide newspaper or tape beside it to protect the wall.  A very small paintbrush from my art supplies box came in handy to apply paint to the edges with more control.


It's hard to photograph the fireplace because depending on the lighting, the grey really morphs into different shades.  Please ignore the lengthy list of things still to do.


Picking a Paint Colour + Finish

When I first broached the subject of a painted fireplace, a few readers were worried the faux stone would look "flat," and I took this warning under consideration.  As a result, for the finish I wanted paint with a bit of "life" so I went with a satin finish and it's perfect.  The light catches the facets of the faux stone and it kind of has a subtle glimmer throughout the day, keeping it from having that matte "painted" look.  The nicest part is the colour looks different as the light catches it, so sometimes it looks like I used a few variations of the same shade.







At first I had a hard time finding the deep, dark shade of grey I wanted and we pondered so many swatches, but in the end I chose Evening Hush (770F-6), by Behr (Beluga was my second choice, but a smidge too dark we thought).  As a bonus, it was Hubby-approved.  Perfect.

My Mom, pondering some grey swatches



More living room updates soon, as soon as the living room looks more like a living room.

44 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Love that it looks matte and a little chalky!! If I had a stone fireplace, now I would definitely do the same thing. The white walls next to the dark fireplace is what dreams are made of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! Sometimes it looks a little sparkly/glossy which I love too. I am also loving the contrast between white walls and dark charcoal grey. I thought about painting the fireplace white too, but this way the vents and doors kind of blend in more.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'm so happy with the result and, happily, so is Hubby (who was very opposed at first).

      Delete
  3. Wow this was a big project to take on. It looks great, very modern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I was hoping to modernize the fireplace. Luckily it was pretty mindless work, even if it took awhile. It was only tricky at the edges. It was so satisfying, though, because the result is a pretty dramatic change.

      Delete
  4. It looks great! I've painted a behemoth of a fireplace/chimney in our living room and I know what a miserable time it is getting into all those nooks and crannies. I still have the other half to do (on our kitchen side) and this is definitely helping me work up the motivation. We used a satin finish paint as well, and I agree that the subtle sheen is a nice look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I'm sending some motivational vibes your way!!

      Delete
  5. I really half thought the whole area was going to end up mint green, haha ;). But seriously, I love how deep the color is and I think it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I contemplated something really colourful, but with a turquoise kitchen on the other end (in the works) it would look insane! In the end, I wanted something bold but neutral. I'm excited to have gone with something so dark, because normally I love white. This is such a departure for me! But there will be some mint green popping up in fun places . . .

      Delete
  6. That is very impressive! I think it's going to look so cool with some grey/white accessories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping our vintage postcards of Lake Superior in white floating frames will fit on either side (four and four). That would be such a nice punch and tie in the white walls. I've been too scared to measure, on the off chance they won't fit. We haven't moved our stuff yet but when we do I'll try them out. I'm looking forward to accessorizing.

      Delete
  7. It looks absolutely beautiful. I can already imagine it with some of your beautiful things on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love it! i would have never ever been brave enough to do this. looks great! now you to accessorize it up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was easier because I had nothing to lose, I hated it before!

      Delete
  9. What an amazing transformation! And yes, it was cruel to make me wait all weekend, but totally worth it. How does hubby like it? How can he not love it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby LOVES it!! And now together we made an even bolder choice in another room. More teasing, lol.

      Delete
  10. Love it! It really anchors that end of the room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE IT!!! It looks so sleek and stylish and what a great focal point in the room. And it doesn't darken your place one bit since you have high ceilings and those gorgeous windows bringing in the light. How does your hubby feel about the After???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so happy I've been able to experiment with this dark paint and you're right, the wall of windows made it doable. Hubby was won over and was so impressed when I showed him the finished fireplace (he wasn't there for the painting process).

      Delete
  12. wow, what an impact!! great choice of colour. Love where you're taking this place :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so good! It's so dramatic now - makes a statement in the room, for sure. Can't wait to see it styled with colorful artwork and decor. And I'm probably the only crazy gal on here who totally would've kept the brass. I'm deeply in love with brass right now, adding it all over the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E! I'm not opposed to brass but everyone in this tiny city has the same fireplace (it seems). I wanted it to be "me". Plus, I'm busy adding silver everywhere, lol. Swapping out the gold door knobs next. Wanna trade?

      Delete
  14. Astonishing! I loved the preview - you did a great job on the vents and the fireplace screen - so tricky to get right. But I had no idea the fireplace paint would have so much depth. You really did a great job. Can't wait to see what you do with the wall space and the mantel...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I think not going with a flat paint helped the fireplace look great. The concrete was really matte, but this paint has the tiniest bit of sheen which, on the rough surface, looks a bit like stone sometimes. A gamble, but it paid off.

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful transformation! It turned out so lovely- exactly what I would have hoped for if I were doing this, too. I am so smitten with white and deep greys- a beautiful neutral backdrop for any accent colour you choose.
    It will be exciting to see it come to life with your furnishings and artwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to add some art and accessories, but everything is in Ottawa still! Helpful for working on things, unhelpful for when they are done and I want to style.

      Delete
  16. I forgot to add, I am pinning your before/afters. Because they're inspiration for a possible future fireplace redo and because I may to convince my guy, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks for your sweet comment :)
      You need a blog so I can see what you're up to!!! Have I said that enough?

      Delete
  17. Holy PATIENCE Batgirl! Love the anchoring effect, the white walls and huge amounts of light really pop it. I have been eyeing the classy brassy doors on mine, consider me motivated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, after some of the DIYs under my bat-belt, this was a walk in the park. Took some time, but it was easy work!! If you tackle your doors, good luck! If they are level when you paint them, this paint will work perfectly (and no priming needed).

      Delete
  18. Joining the chorus of "oooooh!" And glad it worked as you hoped. From the pics, it looks like the gray has also toned down the green in the tiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, happily it has!! My Mom's keen eye picked up on the green in some of the greys I liked, which would have really highlighted the green in the tile. I'm just so happy the tile isn't dusty rose. At least I like green.

      Delete
  19. I have to admit, I'm not a fan. It looks like a black hole. If the pine panels on either side were painted white to blend with the walls I think it would look much better and make the fireplace a focal point. I do like the idea of it painted and I like the color....just not the dark painted panels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad, is that you? Lol. My Dad also recommended painting the pine panels white but, in my opinion, it highlighted the shape of the fireplace too much and I don't like the shape - it's a bit dated. I love the result of a statement-making accent wall, hiding a fireplace. And once the furniture is moved in, a lot of the impact is going to be hidden. But to each their own :)

      Delete
    2. Ah ok, if you don't like the shape that makes sense then

      Delete
    3. No, not a fan of the shape. When (if?) we eventually re-do the whole thing, I'd love the whole wall to be the same material. Right now I'm leaning toward slate. But, again, that's just my preference :)

      Delete
  20. Love the black, you were very brave and daring but it works perfectly and the fireplace is like a canvas for the decoration of the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have previously avoided painting brick because I've been so worried it wouldn't turn out and there would be no going back, but I hated this fake concrete stuff so I figured there was nothing to lose. I can always repaint it a different colour, but right now the grey is so striking.

      Delete

You've made my day! I love hearing from you.
Unless you're a spammer. Spam commenters, you're out of luck: I approve each and every comment, so don't waste your time here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...