February 20, 2014

Best of the Bestas

The lakehouse dining room nook is about seven feet wide, which is why we sold our incredibly wee four foot long teak cabinet from the townhouse dining room.  During the fall I casually kept my eye out for a larger mid-century credenza (either teak or walnut) but I had a serious Goldilocks problem on my hands: everything I found was too short, too long, too beat-up, too pricey, too far away.  Sigh.  We'll just make something for the spot, but in the meantime I decided to find a quick & easy placeholder:


After much waffling, we opted for three wall mounted Ikea Besta units (the same kind we use for television storage in the living room), with glass front doors that have a white backing.  I splurged on the glass doors because they look a little beach-glassy to me (with the faintest grey-blue tinge).  They are similar, but not identical, to the glass backdrop behind the television, which is equally luminescent but more of a minty hue.  The new ceiling fan also has a similar glossiness, but it's much greyer.  Can you tell I'm kind of into anything with some glassy glow?  In case I get bored of the look, there are other options.  I can put a fun fabric behind the glass, or I could even paint the glass itself - painted glass turned out so beautifully with the amazing mirror Sarah made from an 80s glass chandelier.


One problem: there is an outlet immediately behind the wall mounted Besta and the only other one is to the right.  This means the cord for the lamp on the left needs to run along the credenza.  Messy!  Not to worry, we're going to be building a wood top for the credenza, stained pale grey, to finish off the look and hide the Ikea-ness of it (most notably the seams between the three units).  At that time we'll drill some holes in the top and run the cords down into the unit, to access the outlet hiding behind.  I am unbelievably excited about the prospect of totally hidden lamp cords


I've known all along that Hubby's grandpa's painting, which hung in the townhouse dining room, would also look good here.  It's the perfect scale for the nook.  I topped the credenza with the milky, glossy lamps from the townhouse office, but there might be another option.  It might be too much glossy-goodness.


I think once the adjacent kitchen is turquoise the white will be a nice balance to all the colour, but my Mom has a pair of large blue Lotte lamps that she wants to trade for my three yellow Lottes.  The blue will certainly look good with the painting, though my worry is they will clash with all the turquoise.  I'm scooping them, and we'll just see.


As a reminder, here's how the nook looked when we first toured the home (it had furniture in the listing photos, but was emptier for the house inspection):




And here's the nook now (good-bye taupe walls and oak trim):

18 comments:

  1. Love, love all your improvements so far & really liking that cabinet in that nook! :)

    Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to build a wood top for a more custom look. And, of course, unpack something artful for the top . . .

      Delete
  2. The white on white looks great. And I look forward to seeing the wood top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the white lamps there, but the blue Lottes are pretty darn cute. I'm trying so hard not to play it safe . . . maybe I'll photograph the blue ones in place once the kitchen is turquoise and we'll have a vote :)

      Delete
  3. I think it looks great! It looks so clean and fresh, the painting really comes alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the painting really does sing when it's paired with simple furnishings.

      Delete
  4. It's looking so good. You should run the wood top down the sides... the whole waterfall thing. That would look so good in that space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my plan!!! But I worried it might be too everywhere.

      Delete
  5. I would never have thought of using wall mounted units here but it looks so fancy and light, much better than a heavy piece of furniture placed here. The glass doors are a nice touch too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen other people do this, but typically with white melamine front doors and a darker stained top. I think the glassy white doors and grey stained wood top will be a nice combo and somewhat different. I've also seen Ikea kitchen cabinets used, which offer more options for sizing. People call them "fauxdenzas" - such a cute term.

      Delete
  6. Maybe you can make the lamps run on batteries? I've heard of this idea, then you can place them anywhere. If you lean some art up, the cords will be less visible and you can get one of those pieces that covers them on the wall and paint it to match. Just some ideas. Love your home and style :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As someone currently searching for a mid-century credenza, I can agree that it's a difficult task! Mike just found us a mid-century dresser though, and I think that will work (we need something downstairs for holding all our crafty/hobby items now that the press and table are out). I love the Besta solution! And I also love all the white happening here - the painting looks absolutely alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No votes for the lottes, then :)
      I thought I was being too safe but I'm more than happy to stay in my comfort zone. I love white!

      Delete
    2. Well, you can never have enough Lottes, right? ;)

      Delete
  8. I'm having trouble finding the exact besta units that you used... do you recall? Thanks in advance! Love your style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria. My apologies, I answered this question in the post about the finished credenza (we added a top! See here: http://dans-le-townhouse.blogspot.ca/2014/07/diy-stained-plywood-floating-credenza.html), but I forgot to answer it here. I should really update both posts with the info. The cabinets themselves are very plain: we used what is called the Besta shelf unit/height extension unit. It's got three adjustable shelves and it's measurements are 60x40x64 cm. We wall mounted it and added the glass front doors (you can choose from a variety of doors - the plain melamine ones are what people normally use). We purchased three. These are the exact same cabinets we use in our living room, but the ones in the living room have different doors and one half has glass shelves. It's the doors that make all of the difference and there's lots of selection - in our local Ikea they were hanging with the Bestas. I hope this is helpful!

      And thanks for your kind compliment :)

      Delete

You've made my day! I love hearing from you.
Unless you're a spammer. Spam commenters, you're out of luck: I approve each and every comment, so don't waste your time here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...